Thursday, August 18, 2011

He answers us :-)

Younglife leader.
That title enthralls all types of thoughts and images. Some are good, really good. And some aren't.
A Younglife leader is strong. They are fun. Funny. Crazy. Christian. ALWAYS THERE (like seriously... don't they have grown up friends?!?). Tired (although you may not know it). They always know what is happening at the school, with your friends, on your team. They come to games and check out your art projects just because they want to. Not because they have to.
To some, a Younglife leader is a grown up friend who cares just as much about making them laugh as they do getting real and talking about life and God with them to make sure they are movin in the right direction.
Younglife leaders don't take no cr** and tell it how it is. Life is great and a gift, but some things about high school suck and we get that.
Younglife leaders live with passion, and intention, and love, and adventure in their hearts and a desire to show the love of Christ though that.

I am a Younglife leader.

Last year was supposed to be my last year leading. I have been leading for 3 years now, and while my relationships have gotten better and better, life has gotten more and more tiring. Having a full time job, maintaining relationships with friends, family, a significant other, and younglife friends is exhausting. Add to the mixing bowl trying to stay fit, trying to do things like cook to save money, and going to bible study, and living with some adventure in life - and that is a full plate!

This summer I took off Younglife. I didn't take off time with my kids, just time with Younglife events. I didn't go to camp, or summer campaigners, and didn't stress about the planning or thoughts or logistics for younglife. it was nice. Almost too nice. I enjoyed the extra free time. I was worried that by the time this fall rolled around I would still be enjoying my little sabbatical from younglife. I was worried that my heart wouldn't be in the right place for another year of service. That I wouldn't be ready for the energy, the passion, and the dedication to be the type of leader we are called to be with teenagers.

Last week that changed. It was like I woke up one morning and realized how much I missed club with my kids. I wanted to plan activities, club talks, and figure out new ways to encourage my high school friends to reach out to their friends. My heart and changed - suddenly, drastically - and I knew it was only of God. Within a few days of my wheels starting to turn, and the call in my heart pulling again, I pulled up my gmail to find out some great news. We were going to have a new leader. A guy. JUST what we needed in our club. JUST what we have been praying for even when all else seemed for loss.

He answers us. He answers us with perfect timing. He answers us with better answers than we asked for.
And my friends, I AM a Younglife Leader.


Life is so good. And I do believe, it's getting better <3

No comments: