Friday, August 12, 2011

Philly Phootball Phrenzy!!

Pre-season has begun.  
My birds pulled out a clutch win against my 2nd favorite NFL team.  
We have stolen the spotlight from every other team in the NFL during this free-agent frenzy.
We have stocked our deck with aces, and put on our game faces.
We have been deemed 'superbowl favorites.'
We have been hated by fans of other teams who want what we have.
We have realized a trend that Philly is happening.

So... I have kept my mouth shut.  I live deep in Redskins nation, I get hated on for the Phillies stickers on my car, my Eagles shirts, my passion and fanage that has only been building for the last 25 years of my life.  I get labeled as "the Eagles fan" and get all the love and hate that comes along with that.  (Including the overused, under-researched insult 'You guys throw snowballs at Santa!'  - FYI - if you are going to hurl an insult at me for something fans did two decades before I was born, look up the story.  Here I'll make it easy for you -> Philly Loves Santa!)

But this is the most excited I have ever been for football season.  I am not going to lie.  I know that my life does not revolve around the Eagles, and that if there had been a lockout this year, I would have moved on with my life, probably gotten in more running, and less munching on wings and beer, but my weekends/occasional Monday nights would have been just a little bit emptier.  Missing something.

The last three years I have been PROUD to be an Eagles fan.  We may not have won the superbowl, and we may have lost in the first game of the playoffs last year, but we have been exciting.  Three years ago we had a seasoned team and were definitely superbowl contenders.  Over the last three years, we have lost (keep in mind all these people have been pro-bowl players): the core of our defense and leader of our team - Brian Dawkins.   The man who was booed in 99 but came in to be one of the best quarterbacks in the franchise - Donovan McNabb (and to a division rival - ouch).  And this year - one of the best kickers in the NFL, and hands down the best kicker in the history of the franchise - David Akers.  We have gained: a cocky rookie who loves being an Eagle, and even better can sock it to the Gmen and Cowgirls by scoring a touchdown on a game -winning punt return - Desean Jackson.  A reformed criminal who was not given a second chance by any other team, and is now walking the good path and making plays in his life and on the field - Michael Vick.  And now a plethora of defensive and offensive players, ready to hit this season with fervor and passion.  When the Eagles have looked like they lost their chance, BAM.  There we are again ready for a power season.  And that is what made the last three years exciting to watch.

So I have to speak to the hype going on right now.  
Am I beyond excited that we have signed some of the best free agents in the league?  YES.
Am I almost squealing for joy that Asmougha followed in the footsteps of Cliff Lee by turning down a higher paycheck in NY for a dream and team that Philly could offer?  YES.
Do I think that the Eagles have been one of the most exciting teams to watch in the last 3 years, and am very excited that again it looks like another exciting season?  YES. 
Do I think that we could win the superbowl this year?  YES.

However, the danger is that Eagles fans always hope for the best and expect the worst.  This year the expectation is big, and we all know that.  Even with all the hype going on, I hope that my birds can realize that they will need to work hard for a superbowl.  They will need to stay healthy, and realize that just because they "have the dream team" does not mean anyone is ready to hand them the dream.   Andy Reid will need to push his guys.  He will need to be more efficient this year with calling plays that compliment the game clock.  We had had some great moments due to talent, and we have had some great moments due to luck.  And while I will take luck from time to time, AReid has to realize that he will not win the superbowl this year on luck.

I do expect a serious run at the superbowl.  And come February if my boys are playing in Indianapolis, I might consider selling my soul for a ticket, and will absolutely most definitely be crying if we win.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."  Luke 12:48.  Let's play like it my Phine Pheathered Phrends.  "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize." 1 Corinthians 9:24






No comments: