Wednesday, June 16, 2010

What is a grown up anyway?

I have often wondered about how you get to that point where you feel like a grown up.  Do you need to feel like a grown up before you are considered a grown up?  Does the fact that I still say 'grown up' negate the fact that I may possibly be one?  (Just for the record, when I think about grown ups, I still think of Charlie Brown's teacher only saying "Wha wha whomp wha...")

One thought is that I feel like a grown up when I realize that money is there to be budgeted.  When you actually want to be responsible, pay off all your bills, budget accordingly, not just so you have fun money, but so you have future money too. 
Gulp... I'm there.

Another thought was when I don't immediately want to give back someone's baby or when I could see myself living in and fixing up a house and being happy with it, or when I see someone who is married or in a serious relationship and I think (if ever so briefly) "That doesn't look so scary.  I think I could do that." 
Gulp... I'm there.
Another thought is when you realize that more of your friends are older, married couples, and long gone are the single college and young professional friends that you used to be surrounded with. 
Gulp... I'm there.
Another thought is when you take a vacation.  Not because it's spring break, or someone's wedding, or a family obligation, but because you can and you want to.  You can tell work - Sayonara - and just go for an adventure just because you can. 
Gulp... I'm there.


Another thought is when you tell a teenager, because I said so.  Worst answer to a question ever, but when you find yourself saying that to a Younglife kid, it is a pretty sobering adult that is looking in the mirror back at you. 
Gulp... I'm there.

But I think the final and most accurate test is when you read a Dilbert Cartoon and you realize that that is your sad boring pathetic, grown up employee life.  When Dilbert and your Office 'Quote of the Day' calender, not only make you smile, but remind you of your daily life... this may be when you have officially reached grown up status. 
Gulp... I am definitely there!

Dilbert.com

For what it's worth, I still wear flip flops every chance I get, I still love the way my hair looks in twin braids, I still love rockin out to Taylor Swift, and drinking lemonade, singing in public, dancing with reckless abandon, making every hug and smile count, driving with my big sunglasses on with the music up and voice blaring, and drawing hearts in the dirt.  
Will I ever really be a grown up?  Probably not.  But I kinda like this pseudo-stage I'm in right now.  And plus... who ever said that 24 year olds can't play make believe?

Life is so good.  And I do believe, it's getting better... <3

No comments: