Sunday, June 13, 2010

new friends, old friends and everything in between

You know when you have a good weekend?  Just a great time with great smiles and great conversation?  Well I did.  It was great.
Friday I started the weekend at the car dealership where I was told that my tags were expired and I would be driving illegally.  Of course this was my concern on May 30, but the same mechanic told me that if I had proof of working on repairs (aka reciepts) than I should be fine in case I get pulled over.  Well apparently that was a lie, and I am not too excited about it, so my car is parked until I go to the MVA bright and early tomorrow morning.
But MH and her boyfriend came down from Philly for the weekend, and we hopped into Georgetown for the night where we met up with Joe, Dollar, and their girlfriends.  It was great to see Joe, who I haven't seen since college.  But a night with great friends, old jokes, memories, and just being around those familiar people that walked through four years of college with you is so nice, so like being at home again.  They put a sign on the newly renovated student union at Scranton "It's not where I breathe, but where I love, that I live."  I think that's beautiful, and you know what?  When I am with my old college friends, I love.  We went to a bar in DC, I met a nice guy named David, and we had a great night.  It was kinda a bummer that MH and her guy had to leave on Saturday but I still loved hanging out with them for the night.
Saturday night I went to Arlington for a house party for S's boyfriend's new house.  His friends are way different than the friends that I have, but were way interesting, and so much fun.  Yea it was a bit weird to one of 2 girls there for half the night, but I hung out with some of the most interesting, most down to earth people.  People who loved partying, people who don't believe in God, people who love life, and a person that loves Jesus.  We talked about jobs, travel, God, schools, work, and joked and laughed all night.  I hung out with a new African friend, learned some Hebrew from a Jewish guy who teaches kids and prepares them for bar mitzvahs (and obviously spoke to him about my own calling for high school kids to share the gospel), talked with a guy from rural Tennessee about being good stewards of the earth and of other people, different cultures, his testimony, dreams and passion for the future and for other people, and finally about traveling the world, serving others, and learning along the way.
Today I went to Eastern Market with Steph, walked all through DC, and just caught up.  I have to say that I love the relationships that I made with the people I have met at Younglife Camps.  Steph was my intern when I did summer staff at Lake Champion in 2006, and since she now lives in Arlington, we try to get together when we can.  Eastern Market is this great outdoor market in DC, and despite the sweltering heat, we had a blast checking out pearl jewlery, local and international photographs and artwork peices, local designs, large hats that would put the Kentucky Derby to shame, and sunglasses that cover the most varied shapes, sizes, and colors.  We had a delicious locally made lunch, and watched a newlywed couple dance around the ballroom and get their beautiful new wedding pictures.  And we did what Steph and I do best.  Talk about faith, friends, relationships, and the unfortunate disaster of having thick curly hair in the hot humid summers.   One thing I love about Steph, and about my other YL friends from camps, is that no matter how long it has been since we have last seen each other, we can dive right in to the deep stuff, encourage each other, and share what we know and have learned about following Jesus and derrived from the bible.  I love friendships like this that we just build each other up and encourage each other to draw closer to our great God. 
This weekend could not have been better.  I have seen more love this weekend than I remember experiencing in a long time.  And even though I spent most of my weekend drinking with people that don't know the Lord, I feel so encouraged, enlivened, and closer in my relationship with God than I did before experiencing this great weekend.
"And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the spirit, because the spirit intercedes with the saints in accordance with God's will.  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."  Romans 8:27-28


Life is so good.  And I do believe it's gettin better <3

No comments: