Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Love the One you're with...

Or what is the point?

This valentine's day might have been the best Valentine's day of my life (so far).  Ok, at the risk of looking like a heartless woman, I broke up with a fine guy I have been seeing for a little while now on Sunday.  It was fine, amicable, and we still plan on being friends, but the point still remains that I did it the day before Valentine's day.  And people have called me out on it.  It seems that a few people have some very strong opinions about my actions, and to that I say - what's the point?

I honestly believe that the sheer shallowness of Valentine's day has reached a new high.

Valentine's day is not about getting flowers at work.
Having a boyfriend.
Going out to a nice dinner.

Seriously, what is the point of being with someone on Valentine's day if you can't celebrate your feelings for each other?

I asked my co-worker John what he and his wife did for Valentine's day.  He responded "Nothing.  I worked and then we went home and had dinner.  Same old same old."  That  sounded so sad to me!  So I told him "That sounds like the best way to spend valentine's day to me.  A dinner in, celebrating your love, but your life together too."  Maybe it's the hopeless romantic in me, but it made him laugh and say, "You know, you are right.  And every day should be valentine's day."  I like John, he's an adorable old man.

But I say that all to say that after a decade of having Valentine's - sometimes even going out of my way to  secure one, I realized that maybe my ultimate Valentine's day is myself!  Since I don't have anyone I love this year, or see a future with, why pretend on the most romantic day of the year?  Yesterday I woke up early, swam with my friend E, worked, came home early, went on a 4.5 mile jog, and had a delicious dinner of brown rice, broccoli, and a sweet potato!  A fine dessert of a pudding cup, a glass of red wine, and the bachelor - in my pjs.

In small group we are going through the study of Esther "It's tough being a woman" by Beth Moore.  She said something in our study last week.  "I looked at this woman I just met, and I loved her.  And it was a love stronger than you can attribute to a stranger.  I knew I was loving this woman even a little bit of the way that God loves her."  It stopped me in my tracks.  Do I love others the way God loves them?  Do I love MYSELF the way God loves me?  My simple answer was no on both fronts, and that has both challenged and convicted me to raise the bar on what I feel is appropriate standards.

So happy Valentine's day!  I hope you kiss the one you love, pray a little extra for them, and remember that love is an amazing, powerful thing that looks past simple imperfections, and we are all blessed to be as loved as we are.  And if you don't have one that you love, I hope you are able to recognize that one loves you enough to sacrifice himself in the most graceful unjust way possible.  Love yourself, and love others.  The God of the Universe thought you were worth it, why try to prove him wrong?

No comments: