Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial day...

So, maybe I am turning into my mother, but I found myself today driving back from a friend's home thinking about the true meaning of Memorial Day.  And I thought back about my life, but very specifically my weekend.

My ability to work (although too many hours) for a government contractor that faithfully serves it's country.

My ability to worship wherever, whenever, and in whatever way I choose to (and thankfully too, because God sometimes speaks to my heart at the most random times and places!)

My ability to enjoy smiles and laughter with friends in a country where individualism is encouraged and capitalism allows for those with new ideas to work hard to achieve them.

My ability to sleep late, wake up early, walk my dog without fear, and run with a baby in a stroller.

My ability to travel from state to state to see family... to see friends achieve celebrations in their lives.

My ability to watch fireworks and live in the joy of knowing that God has blessed my life with relationships and fellowships, and allowed me to both share in that joy, and witness the outcome.

My ability to call a friend, or send a facebook message and say "thank you for fighting for our freedom."

My ability to pray for the families of three specific friends who have lost their lives in the midst of battle protecting not only this country, but my personal freedom.

My ability to sit through a commencement ceremony and enjoy the blessings of this world, as well as dream about the blessings in the world of my children.

And my ability to recognize heroic action wherever it is due.  Especially with soldiers today, but with every teacher, doctor, firefighter, volunteer, mother, father, and anyone who loves people and dreams of a world which we can spread that freedom, security, and love.

I thank God most especially today, for seeing the world not as a society that thrives on starbucks coffee, cutting 2 minutes off of the highway commute by cutting someone off, meeting deadlines, and making corporate pitches ... but for a world in which we are able to love and worship a loving and powerful creator, his son he sacrificed for our salvation, our family and friends, and the simple joys and freedoms we encounter everyday - in whatever way we happen to find them.

Thank you soldiers, family, friends, domestic heros, and God for this world of freedom we live in, and for the world of peace we can dream about...

No comments: