Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Geese freak me out

Ok so growing up, one thing I remember is going to my grandmother's house and playing outside. She had this HUGE hill behind her house and you could always find wild deer and other animals, trees to climb, parts of the hill to roll down so fast you almost throw up, and at the very bottom was a pond. In all the years that I spent going and playing at that house, I always remember hearing, "stay away from the geese down at the pond, they are dangerous." For a long time I thought they were kidding until my dad told me how geese attack. I must have been about 7 years old and he said they run at you, and bite you, and essentially punch you with their beaks. That freaks me out. Honestly, they have always freaked me out. There is something about getting punched with a goose-beak in the eyes that really gives a person the creeps.



Anyway, for that reason I have always avoided geese at all costs. Now that the weather is nice however, it is becoming more difficult. My office has a nice little pond and fountain outside the front with Geese who come to hang out at it, so I have started walking in the back. However, two of these geese have found a nice spot to stand guard to the building in the back as well! So I have started carrying my umbrella into work every day... even when it is not going to rain. Maybe this is a bit unrational, but a major part of me never wants to be attacked by those geese. I don't think that would be a fun day.



But now everytime I walk into work, I almost feel like I approach the sidewalk, I make eye contact with the big goose, and say, 'today buddy, you will not attack me." But as I slink by him with my umbrella ready to go at any point in time, I always wonder... will you...?

Anyway that is my seriously goofy post about my irrational fear of geese. Hopefully, you never see on the news that a poor helpless woman with just an umbrella was attacked by a goose. If so, you can probably deduct that I am that helpless woman.

1 comment:

Alison Dieringer said...

Ahh! The hill and the pond and the geese at Annigram's and Grandad's! The geese always scared me too! lol. swans as well.