Friday, May 22, 2009

Being a fake grown up

This blog entry is a tribute to my moments of pure, joyful, child-like passion and laughter.

In the midst of a week in which I have already worked almost 60 hours and still plan on working tomorrow and Monday...

I have had the opportunity to just feel free and joyful in three very different ways in the past week.

Last Friday I went to VA for a concert with 2 other YL leaders.  It is no surprise that I love concerts and live music, and have maybe the most assorted taste in yet-to-become-famous musicians EVER... But it was still a blast, and in a way I did not expect.  To sum up the night: roadtrips going opposite traffic in Georgetown... kabobs the size of my head!! (they were delicious, but puhlease, could have been three meals for me)... one of the better concerts I have been to in a while (love when musicians actually sound better live than recorded!)... random target roadtrips, and a good movie.  Even though the concert was one of the best I have been to in a while, target was the real fun.  It has been too long since I found myself in the toystore of a target with other YL leaders.  Let me assure you... not a moment of boredom!  Pure hysterics.  And just unabashed joy. :-)

The other was Jess's wedding shower and my run on Saturday.  It is just sometimes so great to get together with your girlfriends and laugh and share in the joy of someone's life.  From the juicy jokes, and the need to make sure all the presents are stuffed back in the original box - no matter the cost (Thanks Stacey!), and just the joy in sharing in each other's lives, it is impossible not to be filled with inexpressible joy and love.  My run was great!  Also leading a bit into my management of old temptations I found myself going for a run in a new area, and just in wonder and curiosity ran to and through a park into a neighborhood and had no idea where I was.  It started to pour rain at a few parts, but it was the spontaneity of life that just really had me going about how great God is at all moments, not just when we are in prayer/devotion.

The final would probably be Dave and Buster's therapy with Emily.  Two young women too drained on a Friday afternoon to make it to the Jazz at the sculpture garden, we decided to meet at white flint mall for a quick coffee and then nap.  Well, don't you know coffee turned into margaritas, which included appetizers, which lead to in depth talks about men, our lives, and Jesus, which lead to us purchasing a game card and playing skee ball, basketball, deal or no deal, and having a light sabre fight with the giant mascot gloves in the ticket store (maybe you had to be there...).  A few guys hit on us, but the best on of the night was... are you ladies really drunk or just really having a good time?  Well duh.  You come find us after we won 300 tickets on Deal or No Deal, and the answer is - we are having the time of our lives. 

Unfortunately had to come back and plug the laptop in, but just that joyful break and the other shining moments of the last week have made me so aware that even in the midst of work and chaos, the gifts don't stop coming... :-)

No comments: