Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Driven Christian Career Women

Recently, my company went through a reorganization, and my boss recommended that I apply for this leadership development program. I had considered applying to it before, but have always felt a bit hesitant. The program is a great way to develop career skills, a great network, and see many different sides of HR. Development wise, it would be a great chance for me. The downsides of the program are that I would be pursuing my masters degree during that time, and may possibly move somewhere for 6 months at a time. The problem with this is that I am already pressed for time. I also am very invested in Younglife, and realize that throwing graduate courses or a possible relocation into the mix will severely unhinge my current involvement.
I remember coming back from Wyldlife camp, looking at the four girls I just spent a glorious weekend with, and thinking "Wow. How blessed am I? How did I get the chance to spend a weekend talking to these girls about Jesus, and I get to see them grow in the most important relationship of their lives over the next four years?!" Honestly, I felt so right about that, and so at peace about that, and felt like I KNEW that God wanted me to stay still for a few years.
So here I am, looking at a few different options that lay ahead, and feeling very confused. I had been putting off the decision for a bit, but today I got a call about an interview they want me to schedule. I prayed on it a bit, and then thought to look around at the women in my life I can go to for Godly advice. I was thinking about the women in my life that are strong role models both in their corporate careers as well as in their faith and ministry, family life, and living that out to others. I realized that I did not have any of them around me.
The only woman I could think of was Jackie West-Ford, one of the most beautiful people I have ever met in my life, and now miss immensly in my life all the time. She was a beautiful second mom to me who showed me that someone can live their faith, have a primary dedication to their family, and still work hard and succeed at their careers. Aside from her, all the older women I have had to look up to are not in a corporate career. Most of the women I know who live out their faith to the fullest are teachers, and pastor's wives, and physical trainers, secretaries, missionaries, stay at home moms, etc. I contrast them to the people I see in my own company, and what I notice is that many of the people I see around me are completely married to their jobs. That is not who I am, what want to be, or what I ever see myself being. So it makes me wonder why it is so hard to find a strong Christian woman, dedicated to her family, and driven to succeed in her corporate career. I would love to have some guidance from a Godly woman who has been there.
I am encouraged to find one of those women, and also to become one of those women. I want girls to realize that they can succeed in a corporate environment without sacrificing faith and the other blessings that are important. I have never been one for living out the stereotype anyway.

... this has been a very disjointed post because I am multitasking. Will clean up soon

No comments: