Monday, September 28, 2009

best metro ride ever!

Ok so here I am today on the metro coming back from work. I am minding my own business just like I do most other days... There is a middle-aged brunette woman reading a metro map on the yellow line sitting in the seat perpendicular to me. The lady leans toward me and asks "how many stops until the Chinatown stop?" Since I didn't really see what stop we had just left, I told her "3 or 4. That's where I get off too, so I will make sure you don't miss it." She smiles and says thank you. She then says to me,"I need to take the red train then, we are going to the zoo." Trying to be helpful I tell her "well then you can follow me, because that's the train I take to go home too." I felt kinda bad for her, I remember my first time navigating the L train, the first time on the NYC subway, and then when I first moved to DC and had NO IDEA where I was going half the time for at least a month.
Well she took my gesture as an invitation to conversation, which usually I am ok with, but just had a really long day at work. So she begins to ask me questions 'Am I from the area? Oh did I like Philly? Aren't the people here so much nicer?' and starts telling me about how she is visiting from California, and they don't really live near the city, but when they go, the people are so mean.... yadda yadda.
Then comes the great question. 'So, What do you do?' She asks me.
(sidebar, Sarah and I have been planning for sometime now creating an elaborate story to tell someone about how we are really half sisters living in a different countries reunited to find our father. Just something ridiculous that we never really expect to work, but thought would be funny to try to pull off...)
So as soon as this question comes out, the devious, sly lightbulb went on in my head. Here is a chance to be creative, I thought...

So I answer her. "Actually, it's kinda unconventional. I teach anger management classes with scuplture and balloon animals for people who have been in trouble with the law. " She bites. "Really? I didn't know that was a real job!" I say 'yea, you can pretty much make anything a real job if you have a passion for it and clients.' She says back to me - 'I don't really imagine a bunch of angry people who have been arrested doing art and balloons.' Valid point lady. Maybe this is the time you choose not to believe me. But she didn't...
I respond to her "Oh yea, you would really be surprised. You know people like that are just misunderstood and need a good outlet for their anger." She looks me square in the eye and goes 'Wow. That's cool.' (I'm thinking yea... of course it's cool, it's make-believe)
She asks me then if that is a full time job. I said "No, not really. But I have other ways of making money." She goes, "Oh, like another job?" (and let me reassure you that if I wasn't completely making up every second of this, I would have been highly disturbed my the level of intimacy this metro woman was trying to get to...) So I tell her "yea, I actually breed rare pets." Of course she wants to know - 'what kinds?' So I explain to her more about my make-believe life... "Actually I raise and sell rare pet sea turtles."
This is the point that Cali lady should have written me off as a nutjob and moved her seat, but instead, she says. "That is really interesting. I didn't know people had sea turtles as pets. Who buys them?" I of course educate her on this rare job by telling her that "Yea they are really great pets, but they need a lot of space to swim, and are very expensive to take care of. Most people can't afford to buy or keep them." So she then asks, "So it's mostly rich people then? Have you had any politicians or celebrities buy one?" I then told her "Yea some. Mostly politicians wives, young singles living in northern virginia, and a few celebs." She wants to know who, so I pull out the most random list I could think of "Kirsten Dunst, Tom Brokaw, and the Olsen twins."
She says, "Wow, that is really cool that you do all that." And then just for icing on the cake I told her I also sang in an indie rock band and we played at a bar not far from the zoo, actually. It's called Ace of Spades and they have the best buffalo chicken wraps in DC. Then we got to Chinatown, and she followed me to the red line platform to the shady grove side. She got on the same car as me, but sat kinda farther away (this may have been the first smart move the woman made the whole time as I either sounded like the strangest most interesting individual ever, or a complete crazy lady). I did look over to make sure she got off at the right spot. I would like to believe that this woman was just entertaining me, entertaining her, but she very well may have also believed me too.
As I stated earlier:
best metro ride... EVER.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

ok this is awesome. i felt like i was watching a movie! SO clever. ;) hahaha