Tuesday, January 26, 2010

true beauty

Wow, what a steep expectation you might have by reading the heading "true beauty," but really this is just a bit of what I have been learning the past few weeks/days about being a beautiful women... (peppered with some pictures I have of beautiful women!)














First of all, since posting about dating random guys and realizing that I am called to pursuing more meaningful dating relationships, I have really been diving into the whole idea of finding myself in a divine romance, and really planting my heart where it can really be fulfilled, and find myself romanced by the one who really truly knows my heart. It has been an exciting few weeks, full of delight and joy and comfort that I have been hiding away for a while. But I was missing an important part of that. Cuppa sent me a book in the mail this week. It was what my friends from Pville and I worked out instead of our usual gift-exchange for Christmas this year. This book was randomly picked out by one of her friends, who didn't know me at all, but Cuppa knew that this was a good book for me. I got it in the mail, and it's called 'Do you think I'm beautiful?' Now before your eyebrows start raising, let me assure you that I am neither a complete narcissist nor hopelessly suffering from a self-image complex, but I do have my good days where I think a lot of myself, and my more humble days where I wonder why the same jeans are a bit tight and I found 2 new blemishes on my skin in the morning...
But when I think about beautiful women, I think about the women I know in my life. And I think they are all beautiful. From the snort from laughing too much, to the big bear hug when one (or both) of you know that you really need it, to even a brokenhearted tear, I can say without hesitation or regret, that I know and see all those women's beauty.

But we don't see our own. Tonight I texted a lot of the women in my life that I know are beautiful, just to remind them, and let them know that someone else thought they were beautiful too. And wouldn't you know that most of the responses I got back were "Thanks, I really needed that today." Something tells me that today was not really different than most, but that these girls had not been reminded that they are beautiful. It's such a shame. I have been struggling with my own acknowledgement of being beautiful, but it is so hard to believe sometimes. It actually saddens my heart to know that beautiful women do not feel beautiful or are not told often enough they are beautiful. And granted there are varying levels of beauty. But the beauty that I am talking about is a beauty that transcends looks. (And I do think that all of my girlfriends are physically beautiful as well,) but to a deeper beauty that says all of you is beautiful. It's different than hot, or pretty, or sexy... although all of us (even the good christian ones) want to be hot, sexy, or pretty. It is about being accepted and loved for everything you are, and still... someone thinks you're beautiful.

You know I once was in a room with a good girlfriend and a guy I was seeing at the time. The girlfriend said you me "You look really beautiful right now." And my immediate response was to brush it off and say "Thanks, it's just the dress." And she came back with, "No, it's you. You look very beautiful right now." The guy I was seeing said, "Yes, she always does." I still argued with them! I think my exact response was "You guys are just being nice. I love you." But it is so hard for us to take a compliment anymore, and I am not just talking about women on this one! But I think about what a difference it would make to just build other people up, to be able to see themselves in a very beautiful and honest way... the way their creator sees them. And why should I hide away from a chance to help remind people of how wide, and how deep, and how long his perfect love for us is?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beauty is always more then skin deep. You forgot to mention had your mom is also beautiful in a understanding way