Thursday, January 14, 2010

favorite things and dreams

I blogged a few months ago about one of my favorite things in the world... lilies.

Today I would like to blog about something else that I love just as much. Pearls.
I think pearls are beautiful and classy and they come in all types of colors and sizes. They are formed throughout a long and painful process once the sand gets into the oyster. They are unique and original in each beautifully and naturally crafted pearl. They represent purity and beauty. They are of great value, and are the focus of my favorite parable in which a merchant sells everything he has to buy one.

Nothing makes me feel quite as beautiful as pearls, and nothing makes me happier to put on my neck, ears, or wrist. I love the beautiful texture, and it reminds me how in every way I can be beautiful and flawless, and refined to perfection once I find myself in the craftmanship and care of my oyster.
See that pearl bracelet on my wrist? That was my christmas gift from my mom and dad. This is the single most beautiful piece of jewlery that I have ever owned, and this gift almost brought tears to my eyes.

On to other things I love, my OJ (again with the nicknames) and I developed a list of adventures to go on. Some may know this as a bucket list, or a list of things to do before I die, but I just like to look at it as 50 adventures and challenges that I can conquer. So, in no particular order, here is my list of my 50 challenges:

1- Ride an elephant in the Jungle (Indonesia)

2- Skydiving

3- Missions trip in a foreign country

4- Hike to the peak of a mountain

5- Take a sailing trip

6- Go on a cross country road trip

7- Learn to drive stick shift

8- Kentucky Derby with a big hat

9- Ice skate at Rockefeller at Christmas

10- Ride on the back of a motorcycle

11- Give everything I have to someone (can be everything I can give, everything I have at that moment… I’ll know when it happens)

12- White Water raft on the CO River

13- Run a ½ marathon OR do a sprint triathlon

14- Worship with a different culture

15- Dance freely in front of at least 10 people

16- Take a helicopter ride

17- Go rock climbing

18- See the Northen Lights

19- Visit and explore Rio de Janerio

20- See Victoria Falls

21- Visit all 50 states

22- Ride the biggest roller coaster in the US

23- Make my own wine

24- Read all 100 books (I have a list of 100 books to read)

25- Not be in control

26- Spend a weekend, just me and God

27- Do God’s will, not my own

28- Help build a habitat for humanity home

29- Spend Christmas at a shelter

30- Make a difference in someone’s life

31- Write and publish a book

32- Watch the 50 Greatest American Movies of all time

33- Be a loving mother and wife

34- Go on a safari

35- Spend mornings with my husband and coffee on the porch

36- Attend a professional tennis tournament

37- Act ridiculous

38- Live in the now

39- Start a collection of willow angels

40- Watch the mummers parade – live

41- Send my parents to a YL camp as adult guests

42- Drop everything to help someone

43- Have a life changing conversation with someone about faith

44- Go back to school

45- Stand out of the sunroof of a moving car

46- Grow a garden

47- Sleep under the stars

48- Build or fix something

49- Explore the beaches & ocean of Australia

50- Surf in the Pacific


Random thoughts, but all things that make me happy, and that I am very excited to check off slowly.

1 comment:

Hailey said...

come to colorado and #s 6, 12, 21 and 47 will be a reality! :)

love this.