Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Keep it movin... OBAMA!

Ok so, as expected inaugural fever has swept DC.
What was unexpected however, was my own ability to catch said fever.
The last few months of my life have marked a major transition in so many things, and I have to admit that come November, I really did not know who to vote for.  I had been gun-ho for Obama originally, but as I got a quick sucker punch to the face of reality, I realized he may be a bit too radical for my own liking.  Likewise, I really didn't like McCain.  So again, I voted for my president based on who I DIDN'T want to be president.  So needless to say that for me, this inauguration was just blah.  ... until the past week.
Being in DC, I was able to witness firsthand the extreme patriotism that has all but flowed through the city streets.  People have been in good moods down here lately and showing that in their daily lives.  For the first time in a while I can witness the people here on capital hill with a sense of pride and hope that has been lacking for so long.  With such hope, faith, love, and pride, how could I not catch the Obama-flu?
Inauguration day was crazy, and although I was watching the live CNN stream, it was just amazing.  Part of me really wishes I had taken a vacation day.  Some friends staying with us gave us the play by play of their day on capitol hill.  Even in the metro stations which were shut down and at standstills, sprits were high as conductors are SINGING "keep it moving..." while Americans freezing their butts off yelled "OBAMA!"  Apparently that went through a rythm like that as if the whole crowd was singing.
Obama's speech was great.  Forget the Newscasters saying he missed his famous "one liner."  Can we for one minute recognize that this man did not have a speechwriter compose his speech, because he wanted to express the severity of the state of the nation right now and have a heartfelt speech.
Simply put, I hope that Obama was the great leader Bush wasn't.  I want to give Bush his credit and say that he did some good things, but he didn't fill his support staff with people willing to hold him accountable.  The President needs to hear what he needs to hear, not what he wants to hear, and I just pray that Obama will be the accountable leader our country needs right now.  I pray for him and his reign in office, both for the hope that he can do a good job, and the fear that he won't do a great job.  At this point only time will tell, but at least I have my Obama 1.20.09 tee shirt!

No comments: