Friday, January 30, 2009

YL and my Thursday...

So let's start out with the great news.  Today we had our first campaigners since Christmas break,  (because we had unfortunate scheduling with snow and midterms!) but I have to say the kids came back with so much energy it was great!  They were very excited to be back at Younglife, to see everyone, hang out, share stories, and listen to stories.  2 of them stalked me to get my number and ask for a ride (which, I am not going to complain about at all!) and then we sat there at first talking about break, and which finals were hard and who didn't study at all, and all that.  But then we started talking about things I went to that the kids loved!  I mean, it has just been really hard for me with this group, because they are very much in love with their old YL leader (which is so good for a lot of reasons, but has definitely posed a challenge to me!)  But this was the first night that our interactions were more than just awkward, they really wanted to talk to me.  They wanted to talk to me about running into each other downtown before the inauguration, and tell me stories, and ask about my friends, they wanted to tell me about the basketball games they saw me at, and certain people who are friends with them, and the team, and the boys, and how crazy they got at other games with spirit awards!  I know it sounds very silly and kinda small, but tonight was the first time I felt accepted as their leader.  And I wasn't the only one who noticed it either.  Stefan pulled me aside afterwards and told me he wouldn't be there next week and he wants to do a big RM Kickoff for the next semester, and have me do the talk!  Uh... makin me a bit nervoussssssss.  Part of me wishes he had asked George, but I know he wouldn't have asked me if he didn't feel led or comfortable.  So I mean it is just a small thing, but it really makes me feel much more solidified in the choices I have been making in regards to my future.
After YL I drove some girls home, and then met with Emily.  I love that girl, I mean pretty much every time we get together we talk about one of two things: Jesus or boys.  Tonight was no different.  But she is my only real friend down here that I can talk to about christian things, that isn't involved with YL.  And not that there is any problems at all with people involved with YL, but sometimes I like to talk to people who don't plan their lives around it, or who have a different perspective.  So for me, every time I get to hang out with Emily it is just like hangin out with a sister.  I am super bummed she is moving to the Virginia side of DC this summer!
And I guess the other big news is that mi madre is coming to visit tomorrow!  I am very excited to host her around in Rockville/DC, this is the first time she would have made it here just for a visit.  So I am planning on making sure she has so much fun she needs to come back... with the whole family! ... very often!

1 comment:

Hailey said...

HURRAY FOR JENN!!! GOOD WORK!! I"M SO PROUD!!