Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Back to Ja-booty

Ok, so... I worked a lot in Djibouti.  Like a LOT.  so... I'm sorry for the post-dated updates, but want to make them before I forget all about the trip.

But the days were sunny early (like 6am and sunlight was streaming through my window).  But at 4:30 it was already getting dark.  But it didn't matter too much because it just made the air cooler.  If I could live in early November Djiboutian weather constantly - that would be great.  It was dry and warm and and great.  I had to walk about 3/4 of a mile to get to the dining hall and I tried to do that as often as I could.  I also got my fair share of good Starbucks Cinnamon Dulce coffee (perks of being on a US base!).

The people there were great.  It was a camaraderie, although I would struggle a whole lot with being gone for long periods of time.

Let's talk about the two times I got off base.

The first time was random.  It was unexpected.  I was literally blindsided and told we were going on a drive.  I had nothing (not even my cell phone for pictures).  We went through all the security to get out into the country.  We turned left out of the main gate, and down the main stretch out of the city.  There is trash lined up all over each side of the road, and cars whiz by on your left or on your right.  There are no speed limits and there are no traffic laws.  It's pretty much your own risk if you chose to drive in Djibouti.  And the ongoing joke is that a cab ride in Djibouti would be the ride of your life... probably even the last one.

The trash started appearing farther from the road and I got to see the village of Dooba, Grand Dooba, and Little Dooba.  The villages were made of hundreds and thousands of shanties made from sheets and sticks. Just past the Dooba villages was a booth and three men with guns.  We stopped, the guys looked in our car, and waived us through.  Ross then told me we went through Somalian checkpoint #1.  We drove a little further and saw a major fire on a hill on the left with a fire on it.  Apparently it was the Djiboutian landfill.  I am still not sure where all the trash came from, but it COVERED the mountain.  We continued driving and passed another booth - Somalian checkpoint #2.   I was then told that the next Somalian checkpoint would be entering into Somalia, and that was NOT going to happen since I was an American woman.  Eeeesh!  But before the third checkpoint there was a golf course on the right side of the road.  And when I say golf course, I hope you are not picturing rolling green hills and man made lakes and a country club.  This was a 9 hold golf course with holes dug into the tough dry dirt for the balls.

On the left hand side just past the golf course was the Cheetah and Wildlife refuge.  Ross took me there and we went in to see everything.  Out front there was a camel and an ostrich in pen's (like metal wire fences about 10 feet high that you might keep a dog in).  We went in and saw baboons, a male and female lion, and cheetahs.  (all behind the same type of fence mentioned above).  We then went into this walking section, and got to walk with other types of animals.  I got to walk along an ostrich (I would say it was probably about 7 feet tall!), a Wildabeast (yes, like from the lion king!), and a zebra (which I got to pet).  It was REALLY cool.  I was surprised by how small cheetahs and zebras actually are.   There was also a hyena there - and maaaaaaaaaaaan are they ugly!!


And since it's late, I will have to wait for the 2nd outing.  Sorry!

No comments: