Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Pearl

I know - I still owe you stories of Djibouti, and my life - Sorry!  I know - terrible updater, and I promise I will do it, and SOON!
But for now, I want to blog about the Pearl.  Matthew 13 tells us about the kingdom of God being like a fine pearl.  That when the merchant saw it, he sold everything he had to buy it.

That is focus.  That is seeking the treasure.  Pearls are not formed quickly or easily.  For a pearl to be perfect it needs to be finely cultured for a perfect amount of time.  They are roughed out and imperfections are sanded out. 

We are not promised easy things.  We are actually promised quite the opposite.  What makes all the hurt and hard work worthwhile though is the knowledge that we have hope.  The wonderful, fabulous, light at the end of the tunnel - the Good News of hope, and freedom, and love, and eternity, and undeserved salvation.

When we see adversity, when people push us off, make us feel worthless, or hurt us - it is so easy to just stop and pity ourselves, or doubt ourselves - or our call.  But instead we need to press on with the focus of the merchant.   I am not saying our feelings are an insignificant detail of the mission.  I think our heart is very important and I know that God cares intimately for each of ours.  But I also think that what is reflected in our actions are a visualization of our hearts.  And clearly - the merchant's heart was focused on that pearl, and when you want something badly enough, you will give up everything for it.  And I would like to say that I am that way about the call I've had in my life.  I can't honestly say that, but I can admit to trying.

Colossians 3:23-24 says "whatever you do, work at it with all your heart as if workign for the Lord, not for humans, since you know that you will recieve an inheritance from the Lord as a reward.  It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

Press on to the pearl.  Work with all your heart to get it.  Find your treasure and hold on to it.  That's what I plan to do.

No comments: