Thursday, September 8, 2011

Making the office a Greek Getaway...

Ok, so the plights of the working professional can range from traffic, job stress, work life balance, eating healthy and working out, crazy co-workers, and everything in between.

True fact about me: I love Greek Salads.  One of my favorite fast food options is the Panera Greek Salad.  But even that will earn you a whopping 600 calories, 58g of fat, 2050 mg of sodium, and only 8 g of protein (which is derived primarily from the feta cheese).  And that doesn't even include the (delicious) side of bread they provide or the option to add meat!


Still... it looks amazing!
 But this week I have been on a Greek kick, and the next best thing to packing my bags and heading for the islands myself, is to survive this dreary rainy week with Greek salad lunches.  Yum yum!

So simple and with some slight variations.  My thought was to add some extra protein, I would throw in some shrimp, and replace the classic Greek-salad-romaine lettuce with some dark fresh spinach lettuce to add more vitamins and iron into the meal.  I threw in some basic Greek Black olives, sliced cucumbers, and red onions for some explosive flavor.  The best part of about this is that you are pretty much done!  You don't even need dressing on this salad because by the time you've added the rest of the ingredients you've thrown in a tremendous amount of flavor!  I simply sprinkled some pepper on top and - viola! - I have my own healthier Greek getaway without ever leaving my office.

Still having odd trouble with rotating some pictures, but if you get in a handstsand to look at the salad, you will burn more calories when you eat it!  (I'm sure that's scientifically proven)
  While updating I finished my delicious greek salad, so I am going to get back to work.  But looking forward to heading home, and avoiding the rain by wrapping myself up in my Eagles snuggie and enjoying wine and cooking night with a friend, and -oh yea - the really great amazing beautiful flowers the boy got me yesterday.  Updates about Walter and Yelena's wedding and Labor Day weekend to follow soon!
So pretty!

4 comments:

Taylor said...

I heart you. When can we meet the boy? Can we have a double date? Waverly will probably crash it, too.

Yelena said...

Kevin is such a doll! That is so super sweet and cute :) aww you guys are adorable!

Rachel said...

Those flowers are gorgeous! So jealous!

Rachel said...

Flowers are gorgeous! So jealous!