Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The gift of serenity...

So although I haven't come right out to say it, I was transferred.
My work transferred me last week to a new location and a new team with a much longer commute.  I was livid about the whole thing, and have really tried to look for the silver lining in this rain cloud.
Needless to say I have found a few.  The actual work is a bit better for me, more of a challenge (which is what I needed and was looking for anyway).  My teammate seems very nice but also like a very hard worker, and is kinda hands off.  I don't like managers/teammates who breath down your neck all the live-long-day. 
The trouble is the commute.  It is about three times farther from my house that my old job was, and in the DC traffic, that can mean up to an hour and a half if I let myself get caught in rush hour.  But they are able to offer the flexibility of working a 7-3 so that I miss traffic.  Although this sounds good, the inner sleeper in me is all in rage.
At least, until this morning.  As I left my house at 6:15am determined to spend the week testing different routes to work, I realized - there is something so incredibly peaceful about the world at 6:15 in the morning.  I love that I get to leave my house before the hustle and bustle of the DC metro area catches up with me.  I love that as I drive to work every day I will get to watch the sun rise over the Potomac River and Washington DC.  I realized this morning that maybe this commute is a gift to me.  This is my time.  I didn't even listen to the radio for half the drive today.  Just drove in silence and enjoyed it.  There is such peace before everyone is reminded of their daily checklist and agenda.  I would love to show you a picture of what I get to see on the way to work, but think that I should leave the picture taking to times when I am not behind the wheel.  (Just a thought...)
But also, for right now I have a spectacular drive home.  It's before things again get too crazy in the DC metro area, but I get to drive through Georgetown.  Along the Potomac.  Along Rock Creek Parkway.  And right now the color of the trees is starting to come in strong.  And soon, they will fade to ice and snow.  And then blossom again with green brightness!  It is so beautiful, and if this ends up being permanent, well I know that at least I will no longer complain about the drive :-)

1 comment:

Taylor said...

How on earth did you just manage to make me jealous of your drive?!?