Friday, June 19, 2009

Should I be expecting a call from PETA soon?

The image you see above might just look like a goofy picture of me playing with my umbrella in the rain, but that umbrella has become my weapon of choice. A while ago I blogged about the geese at the pond at work, and how geese tend to freak me out a lot. Well, my fears were placed in the wrong species.
Let me explain. I now live in this great little village community which is convenient to work... the metro... my younglife kids... and is pretty kick butt and has a great community feel to it. That being said, it is this great community feel that made me first look to move there, because I was not interested in moving to a place where I would be nervous to walk my dog by myself at night. And let me assure you, there are many of those in this area. So I have fully enjoyed this dog walks, and have never had my sense of security threatened. Until 2 days ago...
There are these birds that sit in the tree right outside my apartment. I had noticed them before, but never really paid much attention. Then on Wednesday I was walking with the pup, and one swooped down out of the tree and "beaked" her in the side. Then "beaked" her again square in the tush while she was doing her business!! That is wayyyyyyy over the line, there is no reason someone's tush should be attacked mid-tinkle, and I think that is a fair statement to live by. Fortunately it was raining, so I shook my umbrella at the birds to warn them off.
Then yesterday, I went for the walk again, and they got me this time! Bird swooped down and hit me square in the left side of my shoulder blade/back area. So again I ran away, becuase I don't know how you handle attacking birds! On the way back I walked on the opposite side of the street, and they still came after me! After three swooping attempts, and three midly spastic movements from me, I made it to the apartment and was safe - for the time being. But I tried to convince Katie and my friend Steve who came over for dinner last night that they were attacking me, and of course, both times they have watched/walked out with me... nothing.
This morning... the damn bird came close to clipping my ear! Literally, I heard something, and turned, and saw this bird flying right at my head and again spastically ducked in just enough time to hear the bird and feel the wind from the wings go RIGHT BY my ear! I am just fortunate that I turned my face away, there was a good chance he coulda nipped my nose! (or like I said before, my eyes!! How terrible!)
(The attacking birds look like the one on the top left)

It's kinda funny to know that attacking birds are not the most uncommon thing in the world, but I am really struggling with the thought that these birds are bullying me! How am I, a grown woman, and my 90 lbs yellow lab being bullied by birds?!? And this is serious bullying, I walked my dog back to the apartment this morning through the car garage, because I didn't want to deal with the birds.

I mean this will make a great story, maybe even a halarious segway into a club talk one day, but man all man! It's crazy!



2 comments:

Katie said...

Try making noises as you walk by the bird attack area, Sing a song. I think PETA will call or at least make a statement if you take a swing at them with the umbrella- Good story though-Katie

Unknown said...

UMM... They never bothered Bentley or I... I think the birds just dont like you. And I dont think it is Gracie because they have never attacked me when I have taken her out.

What did you do to make them so angry?