Sunday, April 26, 2009

I haven't had a meal indoors since Thursday...

What a joyful weekend!!

Friendships and relationships are such a blessing in life. I am thoroughly rejuvenated after this weekend, and absolutely refreshed in the ways that God bestows little gifts and joy for those who love him. I wonder many times if I would have the same love for my friends and people if I were not trying to see people through his eyes, and I am pretty convinced that I would not.

First of all, this enjoyable weekend was so beautiful, and was the first "summer-esque" weekend in DC. The weather has been in the 90s, and the sun has been shining brightly (mostly).

Thursday night I was able to enjoy ultimate frisbee night with the YL kids from Wootten, Churchill, and RM, and although it sucked that we didn't have enough people for club, it was really great to spend time with the kids that did come, and just have fun and be active with them. I am pretty sure thatteam Luxemburg beat team USA, but I was having so much fun with the kids and other leaders, that I don't even remember. 

Friday I was so anxious to get out of the office, so as soon as my work was done, I was GONE! I got to wash my car, and then experience the joy that is springtime in Maryland when it was covered in pollen 5 minutes later. Honestly, I tried to wax the car right after I washed it, but wasn't able to because of all the pollen! It was crazy! So after taking the pup for a 4 mile walk, I headed to the Rio with roommates of old and future to enjoy some Margaritas and mexican on the Rio Waterfront.
The view from our restaurant!!

Saturday Kyle and I headed downtown to spend a day with Nadine who was in DC on a bus-trip. We did the Holocaust Museum, lunch at a pub at Gallery Place, sat with our feet in the wading pool at the Sculpture Garden, walked the national mall, found the best gadget store ever and took no less than a bizillion pictures. There is nothing like good weather and good friends to make your heart resound in joy!!

I know it looks a bit awkward, but we were on the National mall trying to get the capitol in between us!

My favorite place in DC!! The Sculpture Garden and wading pool!

The gadget shop we spent over an hour in!!  (Notice the incredible sunburn!)


When Nadine left, we hosted a BBQ in Rockville. And although it did get rained out before all the chicken was done cooking (thank goodness for George Forman grills!!), we were able to just hang out with more friends, and just enjoy the simple blessings in life. Jessica and Angela came and hung out with Kyle, Katie, Brett, Corey, and I and we just shared stories all night.
Today was more joy-filled relationships as I started the day with a wonderful friend, bible, and iced coffee at Panera, attended a great church service complete with children dedications (it is so beautiful to see parents committing in front of their church community to raise their children the best they can with the love and strength of God), and had a grocery shopping and outdoor lunch date with Emily. It's hard to think that I could be anywhere else than this, and is so comforting to look at all the people I have in my life that God has placed here for very wonderful and different reasons. I just look back on this weekend and think about how restful and blessed it was. 

Watermelon on a hot day!! Eating watermelon with chopsticks from my sushi, because Emily and I both forgot a knife!

Emily is one of the chance encounters I have had down here, and now don't know how I would have survived without her!!  Enjoying lunch on a beautiful Sunday!


One thing that I really love in this world is people. It is so great to just think about how different we all are, and how beautifully and wonderfully made we are. Sitting around the pool at the sculpture garden, I could not help but realize that everyone at that pool came there with their own story. Stories of joy and love, tragedy and pain, stories of hope, and stories of forgiveness. It was wonderful to see couples, parents and children, friends, and people who are different in countless ways gathered around the wading pool just to enjoy the day and enjoy life. It is obviously no lie that I enjoy people watching, but to really appreciate people watching is much different. I am so grateful for this beautiful weekend, and my beautiful friends, and my beautiful life.


On a side note, I have made a personal commitment to give up facebook while I accomplish some side goals, so enjoy more frequent blogging and less frequent facebooking.



No comments: